Lewis LeClair has been handling complex commercial and intellectual property litigation on both the plaintiff and defense side for almost four decades. He is board certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has a particular specialization in complex financial litigation, antitrust, and accounting issues.
Lew is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in his field by major legal directories, including Benchmark Litigation and Chambers USA. He is also ranked by Best Lawyers in several practice areas, including Bet-the-Company, Commercial, Securities, Bankruptcy, IP, and Patent Litigation.
- SC Innovations v. Uber (N.D. Cal) Lead counsel for plaintiff asserting antitrust claims under federal and state law, including predatory pricing.
- Archer Dental v Schein, et. al. (E.D. Texas) Lead counsel for dental supply distributor claiming illegal group boycott and conspiracy in dental supply industry.
- Dial Corporation, et. al., v News Corp. (S.D. NY) Co-lead trial counsel for class of consumer product good companies claiming monopolization of the in-store advertising market. Case settled for $250 million on the first day of trial.
- Lake Las Vegas Creditors Trust. (D. Nev) Lead counsel for Creditors Trust in action for recovery of $470 million fraudulent transfer arising from transfers from real estate resort prior to bankruptcy.
- Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation v Deloitte Touche LLP. (M.D. Fla) Counsel in action pending in Florida seeking recovery of damages in excess of $1 billion arising from the failure of the Taylor, Bean & Whitaker mortgage corporation and audits performed by Deloitte.
- John DeGroote Services LLC, et. al. v John F. Harbach, et. al. (E.D. Va.) Co-lead counsel in trustee action in Virginia against the former officers and directors of BearingPoint Inc. for damages arising from the failure of the international consulting firm.
- MetroPCS v Merrill Lynch (TX state and FINRA arbitration). Lead counsel on $100 million claim for securities fraud and negligent misrepresentation relating to auction rate securities with claims brought both in state court in Texas and in FINRA arbitration.
- Enron Creditors Committee and Enron Creditors Recovery Corporation. (S.D. Houston) Served as lead litigation counsel for the Creditors Committee in Official Committee of Unsecured Committee v. Fastow, et. al., and in multidistrict proceedings in Houston involving claims arising from the Enron Corp. bankruptcy. This litigation—one of the largest, if not the largest, in American judicial history—involved massive discovery and multiple claims and parties. Successfully resolved numerous claims and suits brought on behalf of the bankruptcy estate against various defendants connected with the financial collapse of Enron.
- In re ACS Securities Litigation. Consolidated C.A. No. 4940-VCP (Chancery Court of Delaware). Served as lead counsel for founder and chairman of ACS in connection with merger of company with Xerox Corporation and significant issues regarding dual class stock. Cases pending in both Texas and Delaware consolidated and managed largely in the Chancery Court. Very favorable settlement for client, who obtained significant premium over common shareholders.
Rankings & Honors
- Named the Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Securities Litigation (2019)
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019)
- Named Texas Lawyer “Appellate Lawyer of the Week,” 2017
- Ranked in Chambers USA as a leading commercial litigator (Band 2). The 2019 publication notes that he is "very smart and a very good lawyer."
- Ranked as a Commercial and Intellectual Property "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2018
- Ranked by Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in Litigation: Bet-the-Company, Commercial, Bankruptcy, Intellectual Property, Patent, and Securities, 2015-2020
- Named twice to the Dallas Business Journal listing of top litigators in Dallas
- Named by his peers to the list of Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-present
- Listed in the Lawdragon 500
Media & Events
- 20 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
- McKool Smith's Intellectual Property and White Collar Defense Practices Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA rankings06.10.2010
- Texas Lawyer, 08.01.2011
J.D., with high honors, University of Texas School of Law, 1976
- Law Review
- Teaching Quiz Master
B.B.A., with honors, Accounting, University of Texas at Austin, 1973
- State of Texas
- State of California
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- The United States Supreme Court
- Texas Bar Foundation