Avery Williams is a Principal in the Dallas office of McKool Smith. Avery focuses on complex commercial litigation, including the defense and prosecution of contract disputes, breach of fiduciary duty actions, and a broad variety of business torts in both state and federal courts. In law school, Avery served as a member of The Barristers, an honorary service society, and as the comment editor for the SMU Law Review.
Prior to law school, Avery was a marketing manager at Nortel.
- Schermerhorn et al. v. CenturyLink et al. Representing CenturyLink in defense of a mass action lawsuit involving 64 plaintiffs in five discrete groups that brought securities fraud claims relating to a sale of control of a distressed company.
- Canyon Ridge Resort LLC et al. v. Sterne Agee & Leach Inc. et al. Representing a hotel development firm against an investment bank for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract.
- John DeGroote Services v. Harbach, et al. Representing the BearingPoint Inc. liquidating trust in a suit against BearingPoint’s former directors and officers for breach of fiduciary duty.
- In re: Semcrude, LP. Representing a collection of independent oil producers against a midstream oil company.
- Brightstar Corp. v. E-Recycling LLC. Representing a cellular telephone handset recycling company in a breach-of-contract suit.
- De Boulle Diamond and Jewelry Inc. v. Boulle Ltd. Representing a fine jewelry retailer in a trademark infringement suit.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for Litigation: Commercial Litigation (2020-2022)
Media & Events
- 17 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2022 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- 24 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2021 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.18.2020
- Bloomberg report: "Canyon Ridge lawsuit ends after four years and millions in payments to developer"07.07.2015
J.D., magna cum laude, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 2010
- Comment editor, SMU Law Review
- Member, The Barristers, an honorary service organization
B.A., Trinity University, 1997
- State of Texas
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, and Southern Districts of Texas