As the Managing Principal and Chairman of McKool Smith, David Sochia oversees all of the firm's operations and works closely with the Board of Directors to develop and execute the firm’s strategic plans. David is a trial lawyer who focuses on high-stakes patent litigation and complex commercial disputes. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts across the United States. In addition, David has extensive experience in intellectual property licensing consulting as well as litigation funding. His experience also includes CMBS litigation, business torts, partnership disputes, and breach of contract actions. His clients represent a broad range of industries, including computer hardware, software, technology and services, financial services, and semiconductor manufacturing.
Palo Alto Research Center (PARC). Lead Counsel for PARC against Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat in separate, multi-patent cases in the Central District of California, involving a variety of network- and social media-centric technologies. Trial is scheduled for all three cases in May 2022.
Bell Northern Research LLC. Lead Counsel for Bell Northern Research in the Western District of Texas against Apple, alleging patent infringement involving wireless devices and computers.
Semiconductor Connections v. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company. Lead counsel for TSMC successfully securing a a stipulation of non-infringement on issuance of a case dispositive claim construction in the Western District of Texas. Representing TSMC on appeal at the Federal Circuit regarding semiconductor manufacturing and packaging technology, and representing petitioner TSMC in an IPR before the PTAB.
Xerox Corp., Conduent Inc., and New Jersey Transit Corp. Lead counsel defending a case in the Southern District of New York involving alleged patent infringement, theft of trade secrets, breach of contract, interference with business relations, unfair competition, and unjust enrichment claims alleged by Bytemark, Inc.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company. Represented TSMC in a variety of semiconductor licensing negotiations.
Unwired Planet v. Apple. Represented Unwired Planet in a patent infringement lawsuit against Google related to mobile device technologies.
Rockstar Consortium v. Samsung/Google. Represented Rockstar Consortium in patent infringement lawsuits in California and Texas district courts against Samsung, ASUS, LG, HTC, Pantech, ZTE, and Google regarding mobile handset technology.
- AT&T, Inc. Representation of AT&T in litigation against Cox Communications, Inc. involving multiple patents dealing with DOCSIS and set top box technology.
- Ericsson. Represented Ericsson in litigation against TCL involving patent infringement and a dispute over fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms for a license relating to LTE, WCDMA, and GSM/GPRS/EDGE technologies.
- Nokia USA, Inc. Representation of Nokia in litigation against Red.com involving multiple patents dealing with compression algorithms for digital video cameras in the Central District of California.
- Ericsson. Represented Ericsson in patent infringement and breach of contract litigation against Apple in the ITC and District Court relating to LTE, WCDMA, and GSM/GPRS/EDGE technologies. The litigation settled favorably prior to an initial determination by the ITC or district court trial.
- i2 Technologies, Inc. (now JDA Software Group) v. Oracle Corp. Represented i2 in a patent infringement action involving supply chain planning and application management patents. The parties reached a settlement agreement following the pretrial conference.
- Affiliated Computer Services. Defended ACS in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by JPMorgan Chase in the District of Delaware, focusing on lock box, check imaging, and stored-value card patents asserted by JPMorgan. The case settled shortly after the summary judgment and Markman hearing.
- i2 v. SAP. Represented i2 Technologies, a pioneer in supply chain management software, as plaintiff against SAP asserting infringement of seven patents, in 2008. SAP settled shortly after the Markman hearing.
- TGIP, Inc. Following a two-week trial in Beaumont, Texas, in 2007, David helped TGIP win a nine-figure jury verdict of willful infringement against AT&T related to two prepaid calling card patents. In addition to the verdict against AT&T, co-defendant MCI settled during the second day of trial for a confidential amount. Following a JMOL of non-infringement, the case was settled while on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Visto Corp. Represented Visto in patent infringement litigation against RIM involving push email technology. After Visto's patents were confirmed in a reexamination proceeding, RIM settled with Visto.
- 911EP, Inc. Represented 911EP in patent infringement litigation involving LED light bar technology.
- BearingPoint GmbH. Represented BearingPoint GMBH in a lawsuit involving an audit of a Houston based chemical company.
- ORIX Capital Markets, LLC. Represented ORIX in several matters involving breaches of representations and warranties made in connection with the sale of commercial mortgage-backed securities into various billion-dollar securitization trusts.
- LaSalle National Bank, N.A. Represented the trustee LaSalle National Bank, N.A. v. Nomura Securities, involving a breach of contract action involving breaches of representations and warranties made in connection with the sale of a $50 million commercial mortgage loan to a $1.6 billion securitization trust.
- Deutsche Bank (German American Capital Corp.) Represented German American Capital Corporation in a breach-of-contract and fraud action involving a bank’s custodial duties over mortgage loans deposited into a securitization trust.
Rankings & Honors
- Recognized in the Lawdragon 500 listing of the "Leading Lawyers in America" (2018-2024)
- Recognized in the guide to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2022
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Patent Litigation by The Legal 500, (2022)
- Recognized as a Diversity Ally in the the Lawyers of Color 2020 "Power List"
- Recognized among the Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property and Patent Litigation, (2020-2024)
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation (2020-2023)
- Recognized among Lawdragon's 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers (2019-2023)
- Named by his peers to the list of Super Lawyers
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Community & Professional Activities
- Master in the Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- American Intellectual Property Law Association and Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
Media & Events
- 19 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2023 Guide to the 500 Leading Financial Lawyers05.26.2023
- McKool Smith Managing Principal and Chairman, David Sochia, Named Among the 2023 Lawdragon 500 "Leading Lawyers in America"01.30.2023
- 20 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2022 Guide to the 500 Leading Litigators in America10.04.2022
- 31 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2023 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 13 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.17.2022
- 19 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2022 Guide to the 500 Leading Financial Lawyers07.08.2022
- 17 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2022 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- 23 McKool Smith principals recognized in the 2021 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America" and 11 attorneys recognized in "Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch"08.18.2020
- David Sochia speaks to the New York Law Journal regarding McKool Smith's New York Office Move to One Manhattan West11.22.2019
- 14 McKool Smith Principals Recognized in Lawdragon's 2019 guide to the 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers09.19.2019
J.D., Tulane University School of Law, 1996
B.A., Texas State University, 1992
- State of Texas
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- The U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Western, Eastern, and Southern Districts of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association